In the University there are a number of scientific schools which are recognized in the country:
1) Quality management system of environment and population health for implementation at the Regional level (leading scientists in this field: Professor Vladimir L. STASENKO, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Epidemiology; Professor Nikolay V. RUDAKOV, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Microbiology, Virology and Epidemiology; Professor Denis V. TURCHANINOV, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Hygiene with course of Human Nutrition). The representatives of this scientific school have developed and improved regional programmes of epidemiological surveillance and social-hygienic monitoring to manage population health. The social and hygienic aspects of population health and a set of measures on improving the system of medical assistance to the population of Omsk Region have been studied. The epidemiological and hygienic aspects of the population’s nutrition and prevention of mass socially significant diseases have been explored. New data on prevalence of the overlapping pathology of HIV infection, tuberculosis, hepatitis C virus in various population groups have been obtained, basic risk factors, contributing to involvement in epidemic process of tuberculosis and risk groups for HIV infection, their significance in forming HIV-associated tuberculosis incidence of the population in Omsk Region have been revealed. The structure and spectrum of drug resistance of Koch’s bacilli, circulating among various population groups, have been studied. Within the scientific school, one PhD thesis was defended in 2015; four certificates of the database registration and one certificate of the computer programme registration were received.
2) Fundamental basics for treatment of dermatosis and syphilis (leading scientists in the field: Professor Alexander I. NOVIKOV, MD, PhD, Honored Doctor of the Russian Federation; Professor Vitaly A. OKHLOPKOV, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Cosmetology; Professor Yuri A. NOVIKOV, MD, PhD). Within research studies of the scientific school the influence of polymorphism of genes TLR4 (С6898А) and TLR9 (A2848G) on forming clinical picture, disease course and prognosis in patients with psoriasis vulgaris was evaluated to improve the effectiveness of treatment and to decrease recurrence rate; features of cytokine synthesis and functional status of blood stream in neurosyphilis have been revealed to establish markers involved in the specific inflammatory process of the nervous system. The informative value of anamnestic and clinical signs in patients with psoriasis vulgaris, depending on the results of genotyping of polymorphisms of TLR4 (C6898A) and TLR9 (A2848G) genes has been studied; the results of treponemal and non-treponemal tests in cerebrospinal fluid in patients with syphilis suspected of a specific lesion of the nervous system have been estimated; the features of immunological changes in cerebrospinal fluid in neurosyphilis and syphilis without proven damage to the nervous system have been compared; a comparative laboratory evaluation of vascular endothelial function in patients with syphilis without proven damage to the nervous system and patients with neurosyphilis with the help of photoplethysmography during the specific therapy has been carried out. As a result of the study, a computational algorithm has been developed that makes it possible to assess the risk of developing a pathological process with frequent recurrence and lack of treatment efficacy, which can be used as a computer programme; the necessity of additional examination and drug correction of cardiovascular pathology in patients with neurosyphilis was determined.
3) Molecular cellular basics for monitoring risk of developing gastric cancer and personification of secondary prevention (leading scientists in this field: Professor Alexey V. KONONOV, MD, PhD, Honored Scientist of Russia, Head of the Department of Pathological Anatomy, Sergey I. MOZGOVOY, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Pathological Anatomy). As a result of the scientific school’s studies, it was found that the presence of a "pro-inflammatory" allele combination (the carrier state of three or more polymorphic gene alleles: +3953T and -511T of the interleukin-1β gene, IL-1RN*2 interleukin-1 receptor antagonist, interleukin-10 -1082A gene, tumor necrosis factor-α -308A gene) is associated with the developing stages III and IV of chronic gastritis in patients with intestinal-type gastric cancer. The results have been implemented in the work of municipal medical institutions; teaching materials for pathologists “Multilevel visual simulator for diagnosis/recognition of gastric mucosa atrophy” have been developed and introduced into the practice of advanced professional training in the specialty of Pathological Anatomy. Within the scientific school, one PhD thesis was defended in 2015, and one certificate of database registration was received.
4) Molecular genetic basics for diagnosis, personification of prognosis and rehabilitation of patients with connective tissue dysplasia (leading scientists in the field: Professor Galina N. NECHAYEVA, MD, PhD, Honored Doctor of the Russian Federation, Head of the Department of Internal Diseases and Family Medicine for Advanced Professional Training; Professor Inna A. VIKTOROVA, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Internal Diseases and Outpatient Therapy; Professor Vladimir P. KONEV, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Forensic Medicine with a course of Legal Studies). Representatives of the scientific school have obtained the results of long-term prospective follow-up of young patients with connective tissue dysplasia (549 patients), the results of short-term clinical studies of the effectiveness of the proposed methods, technologies, general methodology of providing medical and preventive assistance to patients of this profile. As a result of studying cardiovascular syndromes of connective tissue dysplasia, their clinical particulars were specified, predictors of formation and progression were revealed: the role of common risk factors, factors characterizing qualitatively and quantitatively connective tissue dysplasia, some genetic polymorphisms was shown. Within the scientific school, two doctoral theses and four PhD theses were defended in 2015; four patents for an invention and eight certificates of the computer programme registration were obtained.
5) Mechanisms of development, diagnostic and prognostic criteria and ways to correct functional metabolic and structural lesions in critical and terminal states (leading scientist in this field: Professor Vladimir T. DOLGIKH, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Pathophysiology). Representatives of the scientific school assessed the significance of the oxygen values of capillary blood for the prognosis of the long-lasting hemodynamically significant open arterial duct in newborns with extremely low body weight (ELBW). On the 8th day of life, the pH, pkO2,% SO2 c O2ct, AHUO2, RIk of capillary blood, as well as the parameters of artificial lung ventilation (Pip, MAP, FiO2) were studied in two groups of newborns with ELBW: those who were with and without hemodynamically significant open arterial duct. A model with high sensitivity and specificity was created (up to 84.6 and 97%, respectively). The equation of logistic regression takes the form: -0.479 • O2Ct + 0.708 • Pip-6.823. Oxygen values of capillary blood proved to be suitable for predicting the performance duration of hemodynamically significant open arterial duct. The obtained good predictive ability of the model created for the 8th day of life indicates that this period is a turning point in the sense of resolving the respiratory distress syndrome in newborns (RDSN) or the formation of bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD), which is fundamentally significant for the duration of artificial lung ventilation and further prognosis. Hemodynamically significant open arterial duct is one of the most important factors contributing to the formation of BPD in newborns with ELBW. The possible changes in systemic hemodynamics after maximum permissible hepatic resection and determination of the timing of their formation in the early postoperative period were revealed in the experiment. The detected critical period, characterized by the minimum minute volume of the heart, is 1 hour after the operation. Distinctive features of the low cardiac output syndrome after the maximum permissible hepatic resection are its reversible character and reflex bradycardia during the first 24 hours after the operation. By the 7th day cardiodepression is replaced by moderate myocardial hyperdynamia due to the tendency to tachycardia. Within the scientific school, four PhD theses were defended in 2015, three patents for an invention and a PhD holder certificate, 3 patents for inventions, one certificate of the computer programme registration were obtained.
6) Developing methods of personified treatment and prevention of dental diseases (leading scientists in this field: Professor Vladimir V. NEDOSEKO, MD, PhD, Professor, Honored Worker of Higher Education of Russia, Professor of the Department of Therapeutic Dentistry G.I. SKRIPKINA, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry). Powder materials containing various amounts of hydroxyapatite and hydrosilicates of calcium silicates were first obtained by the co-precipitation method. The conditions of their heat treatment for the formation of mixtures containing hydroxyapatite, wollastonite and silicon oxide were selected. Based on synthetic composites, cement pastes were offered for dental purposes. Representatives of the scientific school developed a system for the prevention of caries in children of different ages, as a result of its elements being introduced, the reduction of caries has amounted to 46.5%. It has been proved that in childhood it is possible to predict the development of the carious process with the help of mathematical modeling and programming, based on a set of informative clinical and laboratory data on the age-dependent physiologically normal state of the child's dental status. It was found that at the age of 15, the preservation of caries resistance can be predicted in 100% of cases when using the proposed mathematical model. At the age of 12, preservation of caries resistance can be guaranteed in 87% of cases, and at the age of 5-6 – in 85%. Within the scientific school, one patent for an invention and three certificates of the computer programme registration were obtained in 2015.
7) Burning issues of reproductive health services and perinatal pathology in the Regional aspect (leading scientists in this field: Elena N. KRAVCHENKO, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology for Advanced Professional Training; Professor Sergey V. BARINOV, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology №2). Representatives of the scientific school have established certain characteristics of the risk factors for very early premature labour in Omsk Region: the predominance of inflammatory gynecological and extragenital diseases, the presence of abortions and a younger age. Morphological examination has revealed an ascending infection in 89.2% and signs of alteration in 45.3%, accompanied by a marked imbalance in the cytokine system. As a result of the study, a comprehensive approach to predicting very early premature labour was developed, based on the evaluation of cervical length in combination with the definition of IL-8 and IL-2, which are highly informative in predicting very early premature labour. Within the scientific school, one doctoral thesis and six PhD theses were defended in 2015, two patents for an invention and four certificates of database registration were received.
8) Burning issues of the Pharmaceutical Science in Siberian Region (leading scientist in this field: E.A. LUKSHA, PhD in Pharmacy, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Pharmaceutical, Analytical and Toxicological Chemistry). Representatives of the scientific school have found out that in the underground and aboveground parts of Aconogonon (Polygonum) divaricatum (L.) there are condensed and hydrolyzable tannins. The information on the phytogeographical characteristics, peculiarities of ecological confinement, chemical composition and useful properties of the plant of the family Polygonaceae Juss. - Aconogonon divaricatum (L.) has been collected. The prospects of further chemical and pharmacological research of the plant and introduction of medicinal plant raw materials on the basis of Aconogonon divaricatum have been determined. Within the scientific school, two PhD theses were defended in 2015.
9) Developing and introducing high technologies of diagnosis and treatment of surgical diseases into clinical practice (leading scientists in this field: Professor Leonid A. SITKO, MD, PhD, Honored Doctor of the Russian Federation, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation; Professor Andrey V. PISKLAKOV, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery; Professor Leonid B. REZNIK, MD, PhD, Head of the Department of Traumatology and Orthopedics). Representatives of the scientific school assessed the possibility of using physical factors in the treatment of complicated fractures. The causes of impaired osteoanagenesis have been described. The assessment of the possibility of using such physical factors as electromagnetic and laser radiation, electric and acoustic influence has been taken. It is shown that the use of low-frequency ultrasound to optimize the osteoanagenesis is a promising area, but it is not widely used in clinical practice. Factors influencing the thrombus regression, when using anticoagulants in patients with varicothrombophlebitis, have been estimated. It has been established that treatment with anticoagulants, which started before 3 days, low echo-density of the proximal part of the thrombus, its cellular nature, paravasal inflammation poverty throughout the thrombus and in its proximal part, make the probability of a rapid thrombus regression significant (p = 0.000001). Within the scientific school, three PhD theses were defended in 2015, seven patents for an invention and three utility patents were obtained.